Tuesday, July 28, 2009

And I Thought the Green M & M's Were Potent


Not all of my posts are random and silly. Sometimes, I like to alert my readers to important issues like the tapeworm invasion. This post is equally important and amazing too. There is an important medical study from the University of Rochester Medical Center that shows that blue M & M's can help reduce spinal injuries. The dye in the candies (the same die in blue Gatorade) was injected in mice suffering spinal cord injuries. (Maybe they got caught in a mouse trap and hurt their backs.) The rats were able to walk again with only a little limp after being injected with the dye. I'm sure the mice would have preferred just to eat the M & M's instead of getting a big needle. There was a side effect. The mice turned blue. You can read all the mumbo-jumbo for yourself in the study published in "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences." I could not find a good photo of a blue mouse so this will have to do.