Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sleepless Nights


For her entire life, since she has been a young girl, Linda has suffered with bouts of insomnia. It comes and goes, usually staying for 2-3 weeks before disappearing for months at a time. Sometimes its for no reason at all, others she can pinpoint why. I love sleeping pressed up against her in the Big Bed, but she is starting to wonder if I should move to my kitchen bed until she is over this round. Last night, her muscles were twitching and sparking. When they were not vibrating, they felt like they were stretched so tight they were about to jump out of her skin. It feels like fireworks are being set off inside all of her muscles at once. She did teach 4 classes yesterday, but was careful to drink a lot of water. Thankfully, there was only one calf cramp and it went away quickly. Could this be a medical condition or is it just a result of too much exercise? She has a friend who runs ultra marathons. She'll ask today if it every happens to him the night after a race. There were moments when she would drift off to sleep, and then be jerked back awake by a spasm. Linda kept moving me to the foot of the bed so I would not be disturbed, but I kept creeping back up to press against her body. Maybe moving the clock away from the bed will help so she does not see the hours ticking by. Once, I was so tired that I was snoring, barking and running my little paws while I slept. It was the highlight of her night listening to me having a fun dream. She'll have to nap today or staying awake at church tonight will be a problem. There are 4 more classes to do today! I know while she is working, I'll be catching up on my beauty sleep.