Tuesday, March 17, 2009

May the cat eat you and the devil eat your cat


I did not make that saying up. I was looking for some good Irish sayings to celebrate St. Patrick's day. Instead of the regular Erin go Bragh, I was looking for something a little different. I'm not sure what cats and devils have to do with the Irish. It does not sound like such a blessing to me, although it was under the Irish blessing columns. Linda went to a dinner the other night where someone made corned beef and cabbage in honor of St. Patrick's day. I'm told this is a traditional dish in America. In Ireland, people would commonly eat bacon and cabbage, not corned beef. Pork was way cheaper then beef, and that was what the regular people ate. Only the Hoity-Toity Nobel men would eat the corned beef. So there. Watch out for any scary looking cats giving you the evil eye today and celebrate with some bacon and cabbage stew.