Friday, July 11, 2008

Mom, Can I get a Yappy Meal?


Dogs in Beijing can breath a sigh of relief. During the Olympic games next month, "xiangrou" or dog meat will be taken off the menu in restaurants so tourists are not offended. I guess being taken off the menu is not the same as banning, so I guess if someone wanted a poodle kabob, they could still order it. I'm not sure why people eat pig without blinking an eye. Pigs are actually smarter then dogs, but the idea of eating a dog is revolting. Animal flesh is animal flesh, it's just dogs are a wee bit cuter than pigs. It's really just a head game. We were told growing up: cow ribs good...dog tail bad. People growing up in other cultures were told that kitty flank is considered yummy, so they order kitty-stir fry like Americans order chicken stir-fry. Linda and Tierney stick to tofu and veggie burgers. (Although no joke, the other day Tierney ate octopus at a Chinese buffet. She said octopussy's don't know their mom, so it was OK.) Click on the menu to read some pretty hilarious translations. I'm just glad that I live in America where we are loved pets and not on the menu.