Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reading Tutor


I found the perfect volunteer opportunity! This has Choopie written all over it. Literally. There is a new Therapy program for children called R.E.A.D. or Reading Education Assistance Dogs. It seems that children who are having trouble learning to read will learn to read faster and have better pronunciation with a dog on their lap. Dogs won't be judgmental or laugh if the kids make a mistake. We will love them and keep them calm while they struggle with words. All in all, dogs are just excellent listeners. Linda said I am just the dog for the job. I LOVE to sit on Linda's lap while she reads or does a crossword. There was another side of kids reading to dogs that was a surprise to the therapists. Confidence. The kids get to be the teacher and they feel they are helping the dog understand the story. Sign-me up NOW! I want to be a reading dog.