Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Peanut Buster


I wish that I could get into a program as a service dog. I would love to go to nursing homes, rehab centers or a Children's hospital to help people feel loved. I know you have to take a lot of tests and go through training, but it would be such a perfect job for me. I've never even thought about being rude or mean to anyone. The other night at a busy downtown center, 5 little toddlers were petting me at once. I just rolled over and waited patiently. I'm a natural! (Ok, so maybe I was a little overwhelmed, but they were being over zealous in their love.) Dogs are now even being trained as life saving dogs for kids who have peanut allergies. One little boy came close to dying because he ate vanilla ice cream that came from a plant that also made peanut butter cup ice cream. The dog now goes everywhere with the little boy and will alert him if even the smallest whiff of peanuts are present. A dog has 220 million smell receptors, a human only 5 million. It makes perfect sense that we are used to assist in this life saving job.