Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Think She's Pretty

I love any excuse for a Barbie post. (My loyal readers know what I am talking about.) Mattel has released a new line of African-American Barbie dolls with fuller lips, a wider nose and curlier hair. The designer, a black women and Mom, wanted her daughter to have a more realistic black Barbie. Linda said if she was a black mom she would not like the hair they chose for Trichelle. Most black little girls don't have long straight hair with gentle waves unless they have extensions and spend hours straightening it. Even Tyra Banks has decided to stop wearing wigs and weaves and go natural to be a role model to young women who feel like to have "good" hair it needs to be "white" hair. I can totally understand though. Left on it's own, my hair is a mess unless I get it clipped short. People are always saying "Choopie, you have to do something with that hair!" So my wiry Yorkie hair is now short-smooth Chihuahua hair. What is Trichelle holding? It looks like a peace pipe.