Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tick Removal 101

Surgical tools
While Linda was teaching, she got a few frantic texts from Jerry.  After he walked us tonight, he was giving me rubs and hugs and found a giant tick right on my shoulder!  He immediately logged on to You Tube to find out the correct way to remove it.
Pull straight up and don't leave the head

  According to the videos, it said you can't use regular drugstore tweezers, you have to have special tick removal tweezers.  He raced to Target to get all the supplies for my surgery.  Not only did he buy the tick tweezers, he also got rubbing alcohol and Bactine to make sure I didn't get contaminated.  Since he wasn't sure if it was a deer tick with Lyme disease, he saved the blood sucker in some of the alcohol and left it for Linda to take to the vet in case I show any Lyme symptoms.  The surgery was a success and I only yelped for a brief second.  The Bactine smell made Chim crazier than normal though.  He was all over me trying to discover what the strange odor was. 

Linda is tired from her 3 classes and is going to bed in a few minutes.  Most adults are just getting started for the night at 9:00 p.m, but its lights out at our house on Tuesdays. Tomorrow she has her regular schedule since the storm is over.