Thursday, November 20, 2008

Crabcakes, Anyone?



At first I thought these photos of the giant Coconut Crab were fake. There is no way in the world that this thing could be true. Unfortunately, it is real. It is the largest land-dwelling crustacean in the world. They average 9 pounds with a leg span of more than three feet. They use their super strong legs to crack coconut shells. (If you saw that Tom Hanks movie where he is stranded on the island, you know how hard it is to crack a coconut!) The crab also goes around stealing shiny things from peoples houses. They like pots and silver for some strange reason. Here is the really scary part. Not only do they eat coconuts, but other things including small animals. Yikes! I am going to be extra careful on my next walk. I hope I don't have nightmares about giant crabs tonight.