Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Biggest Loser/Doxie Edition

 I know this post is long, but the story tugged at my heart.  I also struggle with a weight problem and feel so sorry for Obie.  I am only 1 pound overweight, but all the diet and exercise in the world doesn't seem to make it budge more than a few ounces at a time.  If your interested continue reading.  If not, I won't be hurt if you decided to skip this post. I've copied/pasted his story below.  You can support Obie's quest to lose 40 pounds by "liking" him on his FB page.  Biggest Loser/Doxie Edition




Our story began when a relative of this boys family stepped in and asked for help. Aging owners with failing health were simply loving him with food. They just couldn't say "no" to those big brown eyes. Through many tears, the owners relinquished him. It is very frustrating and sad but we are thrilled to be able to help him, and now moving on with his new life.

Wonderful Patricia volunteered
to pick him up in WA and deliver him to me in Portland, OR. I had no idea what to expect. I thought a basset hound would show up or that he didn't really weigh 70 lbs. Well, he arrived Sat. Aug. 18th and to my astonishment he IS a dachshund and he actually weighs 77lbs. He is extremely sweet and loving. He was obviously loved and is a joy to work with. I applaud anyone who takes on the task of rehabilitating an emotionally or physically abused dog.

He is a 5 year old standard dachshund. He is on a special diet to lose the weight and get back to being a happy dog. We think that he should weigh about 30 to 40 pounds. I immediately took him to the vet for blood work and it miraculously came back normal. I plan to do swim therapy with him and treadmill work once he starts to lose a little. He will need a dental and may eventually need to have excess skin surgically removed.


I have a degree in Animal Science from Colorado State University and learned from some of the most well renowned authorities on nutrition and animal behavior. I spent about 8 years working as a certified veterinary technician and currently work as and EMT and CNA. I also have a 9 year old black lab and 5 year old dachshund.  They are fit and excellent role models.

I feel tremendously blessed to be involved in his rehabilitation and I am amazed at the outpouring of love and support that I have received. I will be setting up a pay pal account to accept donations for his continued care. Thank you to those who have already donated your services. Please follow us on our journey as this sweet boy starts his new life.


He came with the name AJ but I call him Obie.


My hope is that he can be an inspiration to any person or animal trying to lose weight. It is so important to introduce pups and kids to a healthy lifestyle and food choices as early as possible. Prevention is the key!


Until we get paypal set up, donations can be accepted at:


14401 SE Petrovitsky Road, Unit C101, Renton, WA 98058