Monday, May 26, 2008

O! Say Can You See?


“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” -- General George Patton

Today is Memorial Day. It's more then just a convenient 3 day weekend or a chance to have a cookout and play volleyball. It's not the weekend the pool opens or the first beach trip of the year. It's definitely not the first day it's OK to wear white shoes. In fact, there are many who want to go back to the original day of observance, May 3oth. They feel like changing the date to make it a long weekend undermines the real reason for the holiday. I respect and honor all those who are currently serving and those who have given their life for my freedom while I lay snuggled safe and sound in my little pink bed. Read my entry on May 6th about Sallie, the dog who served faithfully during the Civil War. Do your part today, even if it is thanking just one Veteran for their service or saying a prayer for peace.