Saturday, January 9, 2010

CCD


Finally, a research study that actually makes sense. Scientists at two major Universities, Tufts and UMass, spent $70K on a study to find out why dogs sometimes exhibits strange behavior. The answer: Canine Compulsive Disorder or CCD. Just like humans with OCD, between 2-5% of dogs exhibit the same neurotic patterns. It all boils down to a single wacky canine chromosome. Some dogs have to turn around 5 times before they lay down, some paw the carpet or suck a blanket. Linda laughs at me, but I have 6 little rituals I always do. #1: When I jump off the big bed, I have to walk over to the vent on the floor next to the bathroom before I go out the bedroom door. #2: I spin around 3 times before I go number 2. #3: When I get up on the new chair in the den, I have to walk the entire perimeter of the room before I approach the couch. #4: I have to dig, dig, and dig some more on the blankets to make a hole for me to lay in. #5. I can only chew my cookie bones in Linda's bedroom. If her door is shut, I cry and cry until she opens it. #6: I only let Linda put my harness and coat on when I sit on the third step.