Thursday, February 12, 2009

Choopie Prison Blues


Tierney was so mad at me yesterday, I ran and hid from her. She left a roll of toilet paper on the closed toilet seat. I jumped up and pawed it off onto the floor. Before I knew it, the entire roll was chewed up all over the floor! Tierney came out of her room and started going crazy. Hey, she should have not left it where I could reach it. She yelled "Bag dog, you are going to the pound!" Well, she forgave me but I think I learned my lesson. Good thing she did not read this article about a new law in Iowa. Inmates at the Des Moines jail have to start paying for their own toilet paper. The county is facing more than $1.7 million in debt this year. By making the inmates pay for their own toilet paper, the county will save $2,300 per year. It seems to me that is not going to make much of a dent in the almost $2 million debt. Linda used to do some jail ministry so she has spent time in prision (as a guest, not an inmate.) The prisioners had cable TV with premium packages, Internet access, fancy gym equipment, personal coffee makers and hot plates. Maybe if the jails cut back on some of the fancy amenities, they could save some money in their budgets.