Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Glad That's Over



Today's visit to the orthopedic surgeon wasn't as bad as I thought. First... drum roll please.... I am now 5.9 pounds. Yahoo! Finally some good news on the weight loss front. I loved Dr. Lazar. He spent almost an hour answering Jerry and Linda's questions and explaining the surgery. Yes, I do need surgery on my two back knees to correct the dislocating knee caps. He said I am a grade 3 out of 4 in bilateral medial patellar luxation. It will only get worse, not better. Grade 3 means my knees slip out of their place most of the time. Grade 4 is they are out all of the time. If I don't get them fixed, it will eventually cause even worse pain/symptoms then I already have. Dr. Lazar said it would be better for my recovery if I lost a pound before the surgery. Rehab is 2 months of NO activity, total bed rest. I can walk over to use the pee-pee pads, but there is no playing, running, jumping or going up and down stairs. I'll spend most of my time in a crate when Linda is at work. After the 60 days, I should be better then ever and not have any problems. We are going to step up my weight loss efforts and hopefully do both of my knees in July or August. This is me with the vet tech Stuart before Dr. Lazar examined me. This is me with Jerry after my appointment. FYI, I did not pee on the floor. Another dog did and the floor had to be mopped.